New Jersey Lemon Law
What is the New Jersey Lemon Law?
The New Jersey Lemon Law provides cost-free legal help to distressed drivers whose cars, personal trucks or motorcycles suffer a repetitive nonconformity, or are in the shop for an extended period of time within the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first. The law also covers vehicles that cannot be fixed after one repair attempt for a defect that could cause death or serious bodily harm. To qualify under the NJ Lemon Law, the vehicle must be purchased, leased or registered in the state. Vehicles that do not fall within the parameters of the law may still be covered under the Federal Magnuson Moss Warranty Act or the New Jersey Used Car Lemon Law.
You may qualify for FREE legal help if:
- Your vehicle is covered under an original, extended, or powertrain manufacturer's warranty.
- Your car has been back to the shop 3+ times for the same issue or 20+ calendar days for one or more issues.
- Your vehicle was purchased, registered, or leased in New Jersey.
If you've answered yes to the above statements, you may qualify for FREE legal help under the NJ Lemon Law or Federal Warranty Law. Call 1-800-LEMON-LAW or click below for help.Get FREE Help Now!
NJ Lemon Law Fast Facts:
- The state law covers cars, personal trucks, and motorcycles with nonconformities that occur in the first two years or 24,000 miles (whichever comes first) that cannot be fixed after a reasonable number of repair attempts (normally three or more). "Nonconformity" is defined as a "defect or issue that impairs the use, safety, or value of the vehicle."
- If your vehicle is in the shop for repair 20 days or more in the first 2 years or 24,000 miles (whichever comes first), the NJ Lemon Law can also apply. These days do not have to be consecutive, nor for the same problem.
- Legal representation should always be 100% cost-free, regardless of whether you win or lose. The New Jersey Lemon Law states that, if you prevail in your case, the manufacturer is responsible for covering all attorney fees on top of any fair compensation you receive. If you don't win, you still pay nothing.
- Remedies under the NJ State Lemon Law include a complete repurchase of the vehicle, a brand-new car, or significant monetary compensation along with continued ownership of the vehicle.
In addition, there are Federal Warranty Statutes for NJ drivers who fall outside the Lemon Law but still have consistent repair attempts within the warranty period.
Have a Lemon Law Question? Try Our FAQ Page
Check out our Lemon Law FAQ to find the answers to the most frequently asked questions.
Read More About the Expansion of the NJ Lemon Law: This expansion also covers cars that are in for one failed repair attempt for an issue which could cause death or serious bodily harm.
Read the Full NJ Lemon Law Statute
Outside NJ Lemon Law? You May Fall Under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act
If you don't qualify under the NJ Lemon Law, don’t lose hope! You could still receive monetary remedy under federal law via the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.
- If your car has been in the shop three or more times for a single problem under an original or extended manufacturer's warranty, the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act may apply, including the same cost-free legal representation.
Why Call 1-800-LEMON-LAW?
Since 1991, the law firm of Kimmel & Silverman has successfully resolved more than 100,000 Lemon Law and breach of warranty claims in the Northeast, recovering more new cars and buy-backs than any other Lemon Law firm. We have more experienced NJ Lemon Law attorneys than any other firm in New Jersey, having represented consumers from every county in the state.
Kimmel & Silverman is the only consumer law firm ever asked by the state of New Jersey to teach arbitrators and mediators the fundamentals of Lemon Law and how to hear Lemon Law cases. Founding partner Robert Silverman and NJ Managing Attorney Jacqueline Herritt have both been named New Jersey Super Lawyers, representing the top 5 percent of all attorneys in the state. Additionally, several of our associates have been honored as New Jersey Rising Stars and we are especially proud to be named 2017 Leaders in Litigation by the NJ Law Journal.
When you choose Kimmel & Silverman to represent your New Jersey Lemon Law claim, you're getting 100% cost-free representation, win or lose. You have nothing to lose but your lemon car.
What If You Have Problems Occur Outside of the 24 months or 24,000 miles prescribed by the NJ Lemon Law?
Even if your issues start occurring outside of the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, you ma still be able to qualify for compensation. Other laws can be used to assist youand like the NJ Lemon Law, they provide cost-free legal representation. These laws include the Uniform Commercial Code and the Federal Warranty Act, also referred to as the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. There is also a New Jersey Used Car Lemon Law handled by the NJ Lemon Law Unit for vehicles that are purchased without warranties.
Regardless of the age and mileage when problems start occurring, if you are under an original, extended or powertrain warranty, you need to seek assistance from qualified Lemon Law lawyers in New Jersey who understand your situation and can strategize accordingly.
What Should You Do if You Have a Lemon Law Claim?
Our attorneys have handled cases in every court throughout the state and we travel to our clients for inspections as well. Our state headquarters are located in Cherry Hill.
Recent Success Stories:
Since 1991, Kimmel & Silverman has resolved more than 30,000 claims for distressed drivers throughout New Jersey, successfully helping more NJ drivers than any other Lemon Law firm in the country.
Here are some recent success stories:
- 2017 Volkswagen GTI with rear doors leaking water. FULL REPURCHASE Settled in 13 days.
- 2020 KIA Soul with check engine light problems and no available fix. FULL REPURCHASE. Settled in 3 weeks.
- 2017 Volvo XC90 had a hood that would not close and flapped in the wind. Client received $8,500 and kept their vehicle.
- 2018 Tesla Model X with air conditioning, door, body panel, and rattling speaker issues. FULL REPURCHASE. Settled in 2 months.
- 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 with fuel regulator and check engine light issues as well as rusting frame. Client received $7,500 settlement and kept their vehicle. Settled in 2 months
- 2019 Acura RDX with no sound in car and infotainment malfunctions. FULL NJ
For more success stories click here.