New Jersey Lemon Law
What is the New Jersey Lemon Law?
The New Jersey Lemon Law applies to cars, personal trucks, and motorcycles purchased, leased, or registered in New Jersey that have been in the shop three or more times for the same issue or an extended period of time for one or more issues. Consumers who use the New Jersey Lemon Law may be entitled to a complete repurchase, a new car, or monies to reflect the diminished value of their vehicle.
You may qualify for FREE legal help if:
- Your vehicle is covered under an original, extended, or powertrain manufacturer's warranty.
- Your car has been back to the shop 3+ times for the same issue or 20+ calendar days for one or more issues.
- Your vehicle was purchased, registered, or leased in New Jersey.
If you've answered yes to the above statements, you may qualify for FREE legal help under the NJ Lemon Law or Federal Warranty Law. Call 1-800-LEMON-LAW or click below for help.Get FREE Help Now!
The New Jersey Lemon Law provides protection for consumers, applying to vehicles with nonconformities that are unable to be fixed within a reasonable number of attempts. In this instance, "nonconformity" is defined as a "defect or issue that impairs the use, safety, or value of the vehicle."
In New Jersey, if a manufacturer-authorized dealer cannot repair a vehicle after three attempts, the consumer has a potential claim under the Lemon Law.
The New Jersey Lemon Law also applies to vehicles that are in the shop for repair twenty (20) or more calendar days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles (whichever comes first), as well as vehicles with a serious defect that could cause bodily harm or death if not fixed after one repair attempt.
Under the New Jersey Lemon Law, legal help is always 100% cost-free.
If you prevail, the manufacturer must pay all attorney fees and legal costs on top of what you receive. If you lose, you pay nothing, meaning there is no cost and no risk to filing your Lemon Law claim.
Potential remedies under the NJ State Lemon Law include:
- A full repurchase of the original vehicle.
- A brand new vehicle to replace your lemon.
- Significant monetary compensation on top of continued ownership of the vehicle.
Check out our New Jersey Lemon Law FAQ to find the answers to the most frequently asked NJ Lemon Law questions.
Federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
Even if you don't qualify under the NJ Lemon Law, you could still receive monetary remedy under the Federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
If your car has been in the shop three or more times for a single problem under an original or extended manufacturer's warranty, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act may apply, including the same cost-free legal representation provided under the New Jersey Lemon Law.
New Jersey Lemon Law Fast Facts:
- The NJ Lemon Law covers cars, personal trucks, and motorcycles, purchased, leased or registered in the state of New Jersey.
- The New Jersey Lemon Law covers vehicles with problems that occur in the first 24 months (two years) or 24,000 miles - whichever comes first -that cannot be fixed after a reasonable number of repair attempts (normally three or more).
- If your vehicle is in the shop for repair 20 days or more in the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, the NJ Lemon Law can also apply. These days do not have to be consecutive, nor for the same problem.
- Legal representation should always be 100% cost-free under the NJ Lemon Law, regardless of whether you win or lose. The New Jersey Lemon Law states that, if you prevail in your case, the manufacturer is responsible for covering all attorney fees on top of any fair compensation you receive. If you don't win, you still pay nothing.
- Remedies under the NJ State Lemon Law include a complete repurchase of the vehicle, a brand-new car, or significant monetary compensation along with continued ownership of the vehicle.
Why call 1-800-LEMON-LAW?
Since 1991, the Lemon Law firm of Kimmel & Silverman has successfully represented over 75,000 consumers, recovering more new cars and buy-backs than any other Lemon Law firm. We have more experienced Lemon Law attorneys than any other firm in New Jersey, having represented consumers from every county in the state.
Kimmel & Silverman is the only consumer law firm ever asked by the state of New Jersey to teach arbitrators and mediators the fundamentals of Lemon Law and how to hear Lemon Law cases. Founding partner Robert Silverman is the only NJ Lemon Law attorney in to be named a New Jersey Super Lawyer, representing the top 5% of all attorneys in the state. Additionally, several of our associates have been honored as New Jersey Rising Stars.
When you choose Kimmel & Silverman to represent your New Jersey Lemon Law claim, you're getting 100% cost-free representation, win or lose.
What to do when you have a Lemon Law claim?
If you're driving a defective vehicle and want to determine whether you're entitled to cost-free legal help from a New Jersey Lemon Law attorney, use the Lemon Checker or email us for a free Lemon Law case evaluation.
Find us at our office location in Cherry Hill, NJ.