New Jersey Lemon Law
What Is the New Jersey Lemon Law?
The New Jersey Lemon Law applies to cars, personal trucks, and motorcycles purchased, leased, or registered in New Jersey that have been in the shop three or more times for the same issue, or an extended period of time for one or more issues.
New Jersey Lemon Law Fast Facts:
- The state law covers cars, personal trucks, and motorcycles with nonconformities that occur in the first two years or 24,000 miles (whichever comes first) that cannot be fixed after a reasonable number of repair attempts (normally three or more). “Nonconformity" is defined as a "defect or issue that impairs the use, safety, or value of the vehicle."
- If your vehicle is in the shop for repair 20 days or more in the first 2 years or 24,000 miles (whichever comes first), the NJ Lemon Law can also apply. These days do not have to be consecutive, nor for the same problem.
- Legal representation should always be 100% cost-free, regardless of whether you win or lose. The New Jersey Lemon Law states that, if you prevail in your case, the manufacturer is responsible for covering all attorney fees on top of any fair compensation you receive. If you don't win, you still pay nothing.
- Remedies under the NJ State Lemon Law include a complete repurchase of the vehicle, a brand-new car, or significant monetary compensation along with continued ownership of the vehicle.
In addition, there are Federal Warranty Statutes for NJ drivers who fall outside the Lemon Law but still have consistent repair attempts within the warranty period.
You may qualify for FREE legal help if:
- Your vehicle is covered under an original, extended, or powertrain manufacturer's warranty.
- Your car has been back to the shop 3+ times for the same issue or 20+ calendar days for one or more issues.
- Your vehicle was purchased, registered, or leased in New Jersey.
If you've answered yes to the above statements, you may qualify for FREE legal help under the NJ Lemon Law or Federal Warranty Law. Call 1-800-LEMON-LAW or click below for help.Get FREE Help Now!
Have a Lemon Law Question? Try Our Frequently Asked Questions Page
Check out our Lemon Law FAQ to find the answers to the most frequently asked questions.Read More About the Expansion of the NJ Lemon Law: This expansion also covers cars that are in for one failed repair attempt for an issue which could cause death or serious bodily harm.
Read the Full NJ Lemon Law Statute
Outside NJ Lemon Law? You May Fall Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
If you don't qualify under the NJ Lemon Law, don’t lose hope! You could still receive monetary remedy under federal law via the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
- If your car has been in the shop three or more times for a single problem under an original or extended manufacturer's warranty, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act may apply, including the same cost-free legal representation.
Why Call 1-800-LEMON-LAW?
Since 1991, the law firm of Kimmel & Silverman has successfully represented over 75,000 consumers in the Northeast, recovering more new cars and buy-backs than any other Lemon Law firm. We have more experienced Lemon Law attorneys than any other firm in New Jersey, having represented consumers from every county in the state.
Kimmel & Silverman is the only consumer law firm ever asked by the state of New Jersey to teach arbitrators and mediators the fundamentals of Lemon Law and how to hear Lemon Law cases. Founding partner Robert Silverman and NJ Managing Attorney Jacqueline Herritt have both been named New Jersey Super Lawyers, representing the top 5 percent of all attorneys in the state. Additionally, several of our associates have been honored as New Jersey Rising Stars.
When you choose Kimmel & Silverman to represent your New Jersey Lemon Law claim, you're getting 100% cost-free representation, win or lose. You have nothing to lose but your lemon car.
What Should You Do if You Have a Lemon Law Claim?
Our attorneys have handled cases in every court throughout the state and we travel to our clients for inspections as well. Our state headquarters are located in Cherry Hill.
Recent Success Stories:
Over the last 25 years, Kimmel & Silverman has resolved more than 25,000 claims for distressed drivers throughout New Jersey, successfully helping more NJ drivers than any other Lemon Law firm in the country.
Here are some recent success stories:
- 2016 Chevrolet Silverado with vibration problem. Client received brand-new vehicle.
- 2012 Audi A6 in shop four times for oil consumption. Only 52,000 miles. Client received $4,750 plus attorney fees and they kept the car.
- 2015 used Volvo XC60 with no-start issue. Client received $8,500 plus attorney fees and they kept their vehicle.
- 2016 Cadillac Escalade with vibration problem. Client received all of their money back.
- 2014 GMC Acadia with Stabilitrak light coming on three times outside of Lemon Law period. Client received $5,000 plus attorney fees and they kept their vehicle.
- 2014 Toyota Highlander in shop 10 times for navigation system. Client received a brand-new vehicle.
- 2016 Hyundai Sonata with engine noise. Client received all of their money back.
For more success stories click here.
Recent NJ News Stories:
- Consumer Alert: Subaru to Settle Over Motor Oil Problems
- Consumer Alert: Hyundai Tucson tops Car Complaint Index
- SNJ Today Hotline: New Jersey Lemon Law