It’s quite frightening when a manufacturer issues a recall advising their drivers to immediately park their cars and contact the dealer for pick up, but that is exactly what is happening to 4,800 unlucky 2013 Ford Escape drivers in the United States and Canada.
The recall affects all 2013 Ford Escape models equipped with the Eco Boost 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine built from April to July 11 of this year.
The recall concerns faulty fuel lines that can crack and spill gasoline, causing engine fires. There have been three fires reported so far according to the Huffington Post (story taken down). Ford Escape drivers are being advised NOT to continue driving the vehicle. They are to call the Ford dealership to arrange a tow. The dealer will bring a loaner car for the driver to use while their car is in the shop.
Wile over 11,500 vehicles were recalled, only 4,800 have been actually sold to drivers. The remainder of the recalled Ford Escapes sit at dealerships throughout the Country. These vehicles will be repaired prior to sale.
According to Ford spokeswoman Marcey Zwiebel, the repair is a quick replacement of a part which could take less than an hour. She said it appears there are enough parts in stock to fix all affected cars within a matter of weeks.
That being said, if your Ford Escape is out of service for an extended period of time, it is important that you look into your Lemon Law rights.
Any questions regarding this Ford Escape Recall should be directed to your dealer.